Buxton is the Bath of the North. Its warm springs were appreciated by the Romans who called the place Aquae Arnemetiae. Much later Elizabethan courtiers made the hazardous journey to bathe in and drink the waters From then on many celebrities ffom Mary Queen of Scots (who came here for 'tine cure' while in Lord Shrewsbury's custody) to Noel Coward have come to Buxton on account of its health giving waters.
It was the 5th Duke of Devonshire (husband of the celebrated Georgiana) who really put Buxton on the map In the 1780s he began a scheme of development which, with later extensions, we can see to this day. The man the Duke commissioned to carry out some of the work was the distinguished architect John Carr - known as 'Carr of York'. He it was who designed the magnificent Crescent, the centrepiece of Buxton. He was also responsible for the other landmark in the town the Devonshire Hospital with its huge dome. This was originally designed as a riding school but became a hospital in 1859 and the dome was added in 1881.
The world of rank and fashion in the north patronised Buxton in the late 18th century but its second great phase occurred in Victorian times. The rise of the middle classes meant that many more could afford the luxury of places like Buxton and many large hotels were built as well as the Pavilion Gardens which were opened in 1871. They contain 23 acres of gardens which include lakes and putting greens in addition to flower beds and shaded walks, whilst children are especially catered for, including the provision of play areas, paddling pools and a miniature railway.
Open: All Year