The thirteenth-fifteenth century Church of St. Lawrence contains a Norman font and the chair of William Mompesson (1665). In the churchyard is a fine Anglian cross, probably of the ninth century, and the grave of Catherine Mompesson, the heroic rector's wife. Eyam Hall in the Derbyshire vernacular dates from 1676 and there are other old houses in the village. The beautiful rectory built for the Rev. Thomas Seward in 1768 was shamefully demolished some years ago. Seward was a friend of Dr. Johnson. His daughter, Anna, wrote poetry and was known as 'The Swan of Lichfield'.
Open: Every Day of the Year