This Derbyshire town has its roots deep in English history, possessing evidence of occupation during Roman, Saxon, Norman and medieval times. Melandra the most northerly of the three Roman forts in Derbyshire, was situated here.
Glossop Hall and much of the town was part of the estate of the Dukes of Norfolk. In the last century it became the property of Lord Edward FitzalanHoward, second son of the 13th Duke. He was an M.P. and Vice Chamberlain to Queen Vimoria and was created Lord Howard of Glossop. His greatgrandson is the 17th Duke of Norfolk.
In 1924 the estate was sold to the Town Council and is now a public park (the Hall has been demolished).
The town is now industrial and residential and surrounded by a belt of arable and pasture land to the edge of the moors. From almost every quarter wide panoramic prospects of mountains and moor are visible.
Within the boundaries of the town are good swimming facilities, a leisure centre with multi-purpose hall and four squash courts, four parks, six recreation grounds, first-class cricket and football grounds, and a golf course that appears to be part of the surrounding moorland. Many finely restored steam engines are kept in the new Exhibition Hall which was constructed largely by voluntary effort (the Centre is maintained by the Bahamas Locomotive Society, an educational charity)
Open: All Year